Saturday, September 18, 2010

Les filmes noir ~

What comes to your head when you think of "Film noir"? Dark silhouettes? High contrasting images? Private detectives? Violence and crimes? How about Les Femme Fatales?

I have always loved how Films Noir have a delicious sense of decadence and sin, the atmosphere around the characters is always obscure and opressive. It's beautiful. It is misterious and quite appealing. Films noir always portray a violent and corrupt society; depressive and fatal; yet intriguing and appealing. It's almost a bitter, yet correct satire of how society was back then; and, sometimes I feel these could most certainly apply to our society now a days.

Film noir characters are specially misterious, most of them show hints of a dark past and a rather gloomy psychology. I find these kinds of intriguing characters to be quite poetic and romantic; they are doomed within their own stories. It's so tragic, yet beautiful. I love how most of the times, there's a delicate sense of sin and redemption; the character's ode through an opressive life and events, and how they manage to move on, crawl on, most of the times; and still, they make their own decisions… whether good or bad. Just like in real life. That is the appeal.

And so, as I was looking through Givenchy's Collections, I came across their magnificent Spring 2010 Couture Collection... needless to say, Films noir immediately came to my mind! This collection's overall aesthetic was so beautiful and obscure. It shows a more sober kind of beauty. There was something intriguing about most of the looks; an undying scent about them. Something beautifully magnifique and slightly mystical. Red wine and Parisian nights immediately came to my head. This is beautiful! This is elegance incarnated!

The collection shows beautifully strong women... misterious and confident with themselves; perhaps the perfect Femme Fatale! I loved the contrast of delicate porcelain skin against silky dark hair and bloody red lips. Still, there is somethng androginous about these looks. These women look strong, yet fragile. This is so beautiful and unique! It's a more gothic kind of romance.

Pictures from Style.com

25 comments:

Jasmine said...

i like the mixture of dark and mysterious yet beautiful feel of it

first thing which crossed my mind is vampires during the gothic century lol randomly

infinitezest said...

I think of 'The Maltese Falcon' which I think is supposed to be a film noir. you have a very interesting blog yourself, miss! thanks for the comment! :)

Anonymous said...

ooh amé el último vestido!
:D
mucho gusto!
ah!
y dónde puedo ver tus pinturas?

kimikoflowers said...

ah ése comentario fué mío :D

Courtney Erin said...

That collection is amazing - sort of gothic in a way.

xoxo ~ Courtney
http://sartorialsidelines.blogspot.com

cavernicola antropofaga said...

absolutelly gorgeous, i never liked givenchy but i must said THIS collection takes my breathe away haha :)
saludos n__n

Irene Palfy said...

Thank you for visting my blog -and the nice comment you left: It enlightens my day! I adoe your blog very much, so I decided to become No. 90 of your followers. ;")
Muchos recuerdos de mi parte!

cowbiscuits said...

thanks for the nice comment!
I love the strong makup on this runway x

Anonymous said...

Fantastic makeup and that hat! I'm thinking this might be a good look for my Halloween dinner party...very cool blog, I'm going to become a regular :)
Calicoco Vintage Etsy Shop

dennica pearl said...

absolutely beautiful review, and photographs. you're such a talented writer.

im a new follower :D


<3 dennica pearl
- through the eyes of a pearl
- vintage shop

Kaiami said...

Those sleeves! Gosh, the sleeves on that blouse look fantastic. I can't get over it.

Tiffany's Small World said...

nice blog!thank you for visiting mine and for leaving a comment. hope you'll visit again


http://tiffanyssmallworld.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

i love the second outfit! ♥
xoxo

The Dolls Factory said...

love your selection, and the way you write ..i've got enough of fashion blogging without anyone writing anything. you do a great job

i'm such a diva, i will just leave now said...

thanks for you sweet comment, it made me so happy(:
i like the eyes of the models, last picture is my favorite!
i'm a follower(:

Niki =* said...

Well, If you want to read my blog I can translate it for you :).. I wrote that I am excited, because I am coming to Egypt tomorrow for 11 days :).. Thank you so much for visiting :) And you look really cute! Not me :D

luciana said...

oh wow thats so nice of you, dear. Im so happy about it! I love your blog and I love the collection, too!

Malu Keizer-Swartjes said...

Great photos!
Thanks for sharing! :D

xx

Click HERE to go to Malu's Fashion
Click HERE to go to Malu's Fashion
Click HERE to go to Malu's Fashion

Unknown said...

This is one of my favorites collections: dark , magical and luxurious.
True It's pure elegance!
Regards from my utopia blog!!

The Dolls Factory said...

I'm here to invite you as already we are following each other to partecipate to my October Giveaway, I'm giving away God Save McQueen Shirt or other designs depending which one you consider to best fit your style. ENTER HERE

http://www.thedollsfactory.com/2010/10/fendi-giveaway-winner-and-invitation-to.html

Lucy said...

wow, amazing!!

WENDY said...

Givenchy is definitely catching up on the couture side and poses some potential threat to McQueen, I feel :) Love love love the intricate detailings of the collection here!
Brilliant-ness.


<3

Stacey Kay said...

Great post!

xoxo
Stacey Kay
“Runway Inspiration, Vintage Decoration”
www.goodwillhuntingg.com

Runway Inspiration: Wunderkind

Anna said...

awesome!!
-anna
p.s. thanks for the comment :)
theultraviolette.blogspot.com

Phoebe said...

im a sucker for monochrome! these outfits are all amazing. thank you for your lovely comment! x